Chhatarpur District is a district of Madhya Pradesh state of central India. The town of Chhatarpur is the district headquarters.
Before Indian Independence, present-day Chhatarpur district consisted of a number of princely states, including Bijawar, Chhatarpur, Gaurihar, Alipura, and Lugasi, along with most of Charkhari and portions of Panna and Ajaigarh. After independence, the rulers of the states acceded to the Government of India, and the district became part of the new state of Vindhya Pradesh. Vindhya Pradesh was merged into Madhya Pradesh on 1 November 1956. Nowgaon(near chhatarpur) was declared capital of Madhya Pradesh, after six month Bhopal became the capital of Madhya Pradesh.
Chattarpur district located at 24.06° & 25.20°N 78.59° & 80.26° E respectively. The district has an area of 8,687 km².Chhatarpur District is bounded by Uttar Pradesh state to the north, and the Madhya Pradesh districts of Panna to the east, Damoh to the south, Sagar to the southwest, and Tikamgarh to the west. Chhatarpur District is part of Sagar Division. chhatarpur is a old "king's place" of central india
|Elevation||8,687 km2(3,354 sq mi)|
|Time Zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-MP|
|Vehicle registration||MP 16|